Description of Services and Contract
The purpose of the Labour Support Person/RMT-Doula is to accompany the labouring woman and her partner in labour to help ensure a safe and satisfying birth experience.
Training and Expertise
· Graduate of 2200 hour Massage & Hydrotherapy program
· Registered Massage Therapist since 2007 (Regulated Health Profession in Ontario)
· As a registrant of the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario I am required to have my own liability insurance and follow a Quality Assurance Program
· Further training in Pregnancy Massage and Labour Support for RMTs
· Member of the Association of Ontario Doulas
· Member of DONA International
· 25 hr hands on workshop “Pregnancy Massage”
· 25 hr hands on workshop “RMT as Labour Support Provider”
· 16 hr DONA Doula workshop
· 8 hr DONA Childbirth Education class
· 6 hr DONA Breastfeeding Online module
· 7hr hands on workshop “Rebozo Techniques”
· 7hr hands on workshop “Acupressure for Pregnancy and Labour for RMTs”
· 7hr Hands on workshop “Spinning Babies”
My role as your RMT-Doula:
is to draw upon my knowledge and experience to provide massage therapy, physical comfort, and emotional support for you as my client. I can communicate with other healthcare staff if needed to ensure that you have the information you need to make informed choices. I can provide reassurance for you and your partner, make suggestions for your increased comfort, and help with breathing, relaxation, positioning, massage therapy and hydrotherapy techniques.
Before your Birth:
I prefer to meet with you and your partner at least once before labour to become acquainted and to explore and discuss your hopes and priorities, and any fears or concerns you may have. We will go over your birth plan and try various positions and techniques so you are familiar with them before labour begins. This will also be a great time for your partner to practise and learn some new techniques. I would like you to book one or more pregnancy massages with me (One included in the RMT-Doula Package) so you can become familiar with my touch.
As you get closer to your due date, we will want to be in touch by telephone.
When you are in labour:
I would like you to call me when you think you are in labour, even if you do not need me at that time. Together, we can decide if I should meet you or wait for further change in your labour process.
Depending on where you are giving birth, I may need up to an hour to get to you from the time you ask me to come. We will decide where we will meet- at home, at hospital or birthing centre. Except for extraordinary exceptions, I will remain with you throughout your birth.
After the Birth:
I can remain with you 1-2 hours after the birth, depending on your wishes. I will assist in any way to make you as comfortable as possible. When you and your family decide, I will depart to allow you quiet family time together. I am available by phone postpartum if you have questions I can answer.
What I cannot do:
· I do not perform clinical tasks (except for massage therapy which is within my scope of practise)
ie: Blood pressure, fetal heart checks, vaginal exams, etc. I am there to provide physical and emotional support.
· I do not make decisions for you. I may, however, be able to help you get the information necessary for you to make an informed decision. I can also remind you of your birth plan wishes.
· I do not speak to the staff for you regarding matters of decision making.
If the Labour Support Service does not occur:
I will make every effort to provide the kind of service outlined above. Sometimes this is not possible (ie rapid labour). If failure to attend your birth is due to my circumstances, there will be no charge for the Labour Support portion of my services.
· 1 hr Pregnancy Massage $80
· 1.5 hr Home Consultation with Mom (and Partner if applicable) $160
· 24/7 on call service for 2 weeks prior to due date and up to 10 days after due date $255
· Onsite Labour Support $345
· One follow up home visit within 1 week of birth $160
Total for package $1000
HST will be applied to the above package
I ask payment for the Massage, Consultation and follow up visit on the day the service is rendered. The on call fee ($255+ HST =$288.15 ) is due when you have decided to book my services. For the Onsite Labour support I ask for a credit card to be kept on file that I will charge after the service is rendered.
You can download a copy of the contract below: